Most Active Stories
Car Donation Program
Donate your car and show your support of KWBU
Interested in donating your vehicle to an organization you believe in? It's easy to make a contribution that supports Brazos Valley Public Broadcasting Foundation, KWBU!
• Just call Toll-Free 1-877-KWBU-TEX (1-877-592-8839) or email at your convenience firstname.lastname@example.org to speak to a KWBU Vehicle Donation Representative. You may also submit a request via our online form.
• Our Representative will schedule a pickup that's convenient for you, and provide you with confirmation of your donation.
• If you donate your car after January 1, 2005, we will mail you a confirmation that states how much money your vehicle sold for at auction. This amount is what you actually claim on the itemized tax return.
• According to the tax law effective January 1, 2005, if the claimed value of the donated vehicle exceeds $500, the taxpayer is limited to the gross proceeds of the sale.
Car Donation Program
1. What does our organization do with donated vehicles?
The vehicles are sold at a private auction. The funds from vehicle donations are used to support produce quality educational and entertainment programs and support our outreach efforts in the community.
More Information: index.php?id=63325
2. Does my car have to be running to qualify for donation?
No, the car must have an engine and be tow-able. Cars that are in extremely poor condition or far from our tow range may be declined, as the cost to tow them may be more than the value of the vehicle. Call our customer service representative to find out if your vehicle qualifies.
3. What paperwork do I need?
The only paperwork needed is a signed, clear title (pink slip). (Please note: a clear title indicates the title is in the name of the donor without a lien.) California market only: Our driver will provide you with a Release of Liability which must be completed by the donor and mailed to the DMV within 5 business days of donation.
4. Do I get a receipt for my donation?
Yes, our driver will issue a tow receipt at the time of pick-up. This is not your final tax receipt. The tow receipt will indicate your name, the year, make, model and the condition of the vehicle you are donating. A tax receipt with our Federal ID number will be mailed to you within 30 days of the sale stating the amount of gross proceeds received from your vehicle. This will be your receipt for your charitable contribution. After January 1, 2005, donors can claim the amount for which the vehicle sold has a deduction on their itemized tax return. You will be sent a tax receipt with this amount when the vehicle sells.
5. What if I lost the title (pink slip)?
You will need to get a duplicate title and call us when you have received it. California market only: Our driver will provide you with a duplicate title form.
6. What can I claim as a deduction?
According to the tax law effective January 1, 2005, if the claimed value of the donated vehicle exceeds $500, the taxpayer is limited to the gross proceeds of the sale.
7. What if my car is valued over $5000?
Effective January 1, 2005, you will no longer be required to have vehicles appraised. The value you may claim will be the amount of gross proceeds received from your vehicle.
8. How quickly can my vehicle be picked up?
Vehicles are picked up at a time that is convenient for you. Call our representative to find out what times are available in your neighborhood.
9. Do I have to be with the vehicle at the time of pick-up?
No. Special arrangements can be made by calling our representative.
10. What if my car won't pass the smog test? (California market only.)
We can accept vehicles without a smog certificate or current registration.