Most Active Stories
- In Syria, Archaeologists Risk Their Lives To Protect Ancient Heritage
- Jordan's Army Preps For A Bigger Role Against ISIS
- TSTC's Funding Change And The Demand For Technical Workers
- Immigrants Worry They'll Face Deportation After Deferred Action Delay
- David Remnick Looks Back On Tough Decisions As 'The New Yorker' Turns 90
Tue August 26, 2014
Big And Blue: Big Tex's New Clothes Are Unveiled
Originally published on Tue August 26, 2014 4:23 pm
Big Tex has some new big duds. The State Fair of Texas on Tuesday morning unveiled new clothes for its iconic cowboy.
This year’s outfit features a dark blue shirt – a change from last year’s white outfit. The new shirt includes patches of red with white stars.
Big Tex has his own special tailor: Dickies. The Fort Worth company has made Tex's clothes since 1997.
His shirt is 200 x 325 (an average man’s size is 16 x 32). His chest is 33 feet, 9 inches. His biceps are 10 feet, 9 inches.
The new Big Tex was unveiled last year after he was destroyed in 2012 in an electrical fire.
He’s now 55 feet tall. He wears size 96 boots that are 12 feet tall. And don’t forget the 95-gallon hat.
It typically takes Dickies workers two weeks to make the shirt, the fair says. The sun and rain give it a workout, so Dickies uses awning material with venting slits so the wind can blow through it.
The fair starts Sept. 26, one month from today.
Can't get enough of Big Tex?
Explore our previous Big Tex stories:
- Big Tex Is Named The Country's Quirkiest Landmark (Of Course!)